Friday, September 5, 2014

Week 2: Notes to the Class

Good class last night, the singing much more engaged, too. So keep listening to the downloads (corresponding to Tan and Gray Songbooks) and learning the songs. I was singing San Franscisco Bay Blues in the shower last night at about 12:30...

Digital Notebooks. (Your personal blogs). See my WEEK 1: Notes to the Class post, set this up  and send me your active URL. BY THE END OF THIS WEEKEND.  I will send out a set to the group, and post on class blog. I'll want you to post your work each week... starting with last night's project. With some writing. Ben's story last night (wonderful) set the bar pretty high--but this is Ben's medium. For many of you, I'd like to see thE writing as a kind of journal or commentary on how your work relates to the songs--including things you learn about thew songs per se (their history, performers, how they fit into the roots tradition. And how tghey relate to place. In other words, I want to see your intellectual journey reflected as well as your artwork. They go together.

And bring that small real notebook to class--the people and places and books mentioned will add up. Austerlitz, for example-- W.G. Sebald...

Ambition for the work. I think I mentioned the first night, water seeks its own level. The more ambitious everyone's projects, the more it encourages the rest to take leaps. Leaps of imagination, exploration. That's why I poured the water... So give them your all. An encouyragement!

Reading. I did manage to get you the readers, but we stopped just short of talking about them. Bring them next week and we'll start with that. For this week, read the Alan and John Lomax selections (pages 1-32). I commented on these in my week 2: You Are My Sunshine Post.

New Project. In case there's any confusion, the new song will generally be the focus of your new week's work. I didn't say that specifically last night, but I think you see how the class works. If I want to guide you more specifically, I'll do so on each week's new blog post. Okay?

Enjoy it ALL....!